Northeast Florida & Jacksonville Light Tackle & Fly Fishing jacksonville fishing guides, amelia island fishing guides, st. augustine fishing guides, jacksonville flyfishing, jacksonville striped bass fishing, Jacksonville deep sea fishing, ne florida fishing guides, florida fishing guides, florida flats fishing guides, florida flyfishing guides, florida light tackle & fly fishing guides, florida fishing charters keys flats fishing, Islamorada fishing, Islamorada flats fishing, key west fishing, tarpon fishing, snook fishing, fly fishing, Clearwater fishing, st Petersburg fishing, ft. Lauderdale fishing, south florida fishing, sw florida fishing
Click on Images Below to Enlarge
Please use your browser's "Back" button to return to the Florida Light Tackle Charter site.
About: St. Augustine represents the site of the oldest continuously occupied European and African American settlements in the United States. As part of Ponce de León's 1513 claim to La Florida, St. Augustine was established in 1565 by Don Pedro Menéndez de Avilés on the site of a Timucuan Indian village. By the late 17th century, with the building of the Castillo de San Marcos, St. Augustine had become the seat of Spanish military, political, and ecclesiastical power in Florida. During the time St. Augustine was held by the Spanish, black slaves from the English Carolina Colony found Florida a haven-- the Spanish Crown granted refuge to blacks if they embraced Catholicism.
Today, the heart of St. Augustine retains the distinctive plan of a 16th century Spanish Colonial walled town, much of which has been preserved or restored. The numerous remaining colonial buildings in the historic district present an impressive array of architecture from 1703 to 1898.
Some of the most
noted buildings in the district are located on the Plaza de la Constitución,
the colonial community's focal point. Here are found the Government House
(governor's residence, built 1713), Trinity Episcopal Church (1825), and the
Basilica Cathedral of St. Augustine which incorporates the 1797 parish
church and is one of the oldest Catholic religious buildings in the U.S.
The Oldest House, located three blocks south of the Plaza at 14 St. Francis Street, is another traditional Spanish Colonial residence built circa 1706 and is the oldest surviving residence in the city. This area south of the Plaza is the oldest part of St. Augustine, and there are several other original structures along narrow St. Francis, St. George, Aviles, and Marine Streets. Many are private residences, but some are open to the public. Walking tour maps are available in our bookstore.
During the late 19th
century, St. Augustine was also the destination of America's rich and
famous. In 1885, railroad tycoon and former Standard Oil partner Henry
Morrison Flagler moved Florida's resorts to a new level with his 540-room
grand Ponce de León Hotel in St. Augustine. The first of three Flagler
hotels in the city, the Ponce de León (now the main building of Flagler
College) combined exotic Spanish Renaissance and Moorish architectural
features with innovative poured concrete construction.
Historical Information provided by fortmatanzasonline.com
As of 12/18/03, This page has been viewed times.